Saturday, May 19, 2012

Infinity Scarf


I crocheted an infinity scarf for a member of my family and she loved it.  I used Patons Lace yarn.  It is so fine and delicate looking.  They have a variety of colors and some that had sequins.  I might have to try one with a little bling next. You can use this in a variety of ways: as an infinity scarf, and wrap over your ears. We tried it as a wrap around your shoulder, but it was too large around and needed to be a bit wider.  You could have lots of fun using it several different ways. Sorry, I only have one pic of the variety of uses.






I used a Chainless Foundation.  This allows the scarf to stretch evenly.

Here is the pattern: You only need one ball of Patons yarn and it should make you two scarfs.

With an I hook

Chain 3, yo, and insert your hook in the first chain, yo and draw up a loop, like you would for a regular dc. Now, instead of proceeding with your dc, chain 1. This is the chain that you will work your next stitch into. Now go ahead and finish your first dc (yo, draw through two loops) twice.

For the next stitch, there is a little bar where you made your chain 1. Yo, insert your hook into the bar, chain 1, then finish the dc.  I made 140, but 150 would give you a little more length to work with.  Now this is the tough part.  I had problems with this and had to completely start over.  You really can't take out a lot of stitches using this yarn.  It gets knotted very easy and then I ended up breaking it.   You need to lay out your chain on a flat surface.  Double check to make sure that it is completely straight and not twisted.
Working into the base of the dc's, you sl st into the bottom of the ch 3, sc into the bottom of next dc, hdc into the bottom of the next dc, and then dc into the bottom of each remaining stitch around.

Next rows:  3-11 Ch 3, dc in each stitch to last, sl  to join.  Continue to add as many rows as you wish to your desired width. You can finish it off with a fancy border, but I left the one I crocheted without.


And there you have it, I hope that the instructions are easy enough to read, it would be my first set. I would love to see any that you have made.

Who I linked up with...

May Finishes
button

Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! One day I want to learn how to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I learned a lot by reading and watching others and practice, practice. I love to crochet. It is my quiet craft. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful scraf. Looks so soft! Stopping in from May Finishes linky. Amy from www.craftyshenanigans.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is wonderfully soft. I am going to make one for myself. Thanks for stopping by and I will check out what you have linked up.
      Amy

      Delete
  3. Hello Amy! Your scarf is great! It gives me a sense of calmness!
    Crocheting a scarf will be one of my future projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try something like this.
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so pretty! You are amazing with a crochet hook! I love the color. Congrats on a great finish and thanks for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so comfortable! Thanks for sharing. have a fab weekend!

    Hugs,
    Lelanie @ to-sew-with-love.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy,

    I love your scarf and Ihave never tried the chainless foundation but loveeee it the pattern is very easy to understand but I'm not sure are you joining to make a ring and does the base mean the foundation end of the double crochet stitch hope you will gey back to me I can't wait to make these for all my friends .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this chainless start. Your directions were so clear, I mastered it in no time. I used a bulky yarn and a bigger hook, but the end result was beautiful. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Ellie R

    ReplyDelete