Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dresden Pillow - Mystery Project

I starting working on this as a competition for a local fabric shop.  They supplied the purple color and I had to come up with the rest.  It is the first Dresden I completed and I loved every minute, and I am actually working on a second.  I am so excited to show you my completion.





I used the 5 1/2" Dresden for a 18" pillow.  I would have made it bigger, but I didn't get that big of mystery (purple) material, so I wanted to make sure that I had enough.


(Excuse the fuzz.  That black picked-up every last fuzzy of batting while quilting it.)
I zig-zagged all the way around the Dresden.  I think I went through 3 bobbins.  I was beginning to regret the 1/4" between each line, but I really loved the results.


For the outside edge, I used all the leftovers I had and created a corded trim around it.  I dropped if off at the store on Saturday and she almost had to pry my fingers off of it.  I really hated leaving it there, but I know it is in good hands. (I hope.)

If you haven't tried a Dresden, don't be afraid of it.  It is a lot of fun and I know you will love the results.





You can check out the places, I link-up to.
Ellison Lane Quilts
May Finishes




Pin It Now!

21 comments:

  1. It looks great! I also worked on my first Dresden recently on a tote bag :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love them? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This is a stunning pillow!!! Using the black and white fabrics really makes the purple stand out. Love the zig zag quilting you've done. I've only ever done one dresden and it was also on a pillow. I'd love for you to share this at our ONGOING themed linky that's just for pillows and cushions...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-pillows-and-cushions.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,
      Thanks for your lovely comment. I tried to link up several times, but it was unsuccessful. Thanks
      Amy

      Delete
  3. You did an awesome job! I really love it. I hope you win something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really had a hard time parting with my first Dresden.

      Delete
  4. This looks great. I love the dresden and the quilting looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite finish. Thanks for the lovely comment!

      Delete
  5. Seems like this is a dresden week for several people. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm getting more and more intriqued by Dresdens. I want to do one soon. I like your pillow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really loved working on it. I have another one done and two more in the works. Once you start, look out.

      Delete
  7. Looks beautiful and the 1/4 quilting is perfect! Thanks for sharing!
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is fantastic! Fabulous! Ferocious! I got a little carried away there, but I just love it! The visual impact is amazing. I love Dresdens and some day, I'll make a few. Yours is amazing and I'm crossing my fingers for you with the quilt shop contest! You'd definitely have my vote! Congrats on a great finish and thank you for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you like it? LOL Thanks for the link-up and lovely comment again! I hope I win but there are a lot of great quilters out there.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pillow! I wish I had your sewing talent... Thanks for sharing at Off the Hook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You made some beautiful little girl dresses. Thanks for the link-up party. You are so effecient and comment so quickly. I didn't even have your button up yet. Thanks again!

      Delete
  10. Your Dresden is beautiful!!!! You should enter it into the EZ Dresden Challenge later on. (The challenge will be on my blog today :) I love the quilting!!! I have regretted the 1/4" decision before while sewing as well but always love the results. It just has such an awesome look :) Thanks for linking up with TNT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have one I love even more that I think that I will have to enter.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for linking to one of my LAFF this month. I love the dresden. My guild is sponsoring a contest for them in a month or so you will have to check them out its the Salt Lake Modern Quilt Guild.

    http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete