Monday, June 4, 2012

Kiddo Messenger Bag

Every time a birthday rolls around, I try really hard to make something handmade for their "Big" day.  There is so much stuff out there that kids want.  I usually get them a book and a handmade goodie of some sort.   I had made my other niece an owl bag and I had every intention of making a few more and getting them completed way before birthday time. (Always wishful thinking) I cut this one out the same time I had cut out the other.  It set in a box for a couple months, but I finished it all up this weekend.


I used owl canvas for the exterior.  I quilted it in wavy lines and it  has Velcro closure to keep all her essentials in. (Books, dolls, cars, maybe some lip gloss she sniped from mommy, etc.)

 


I loosely followed the pattern, I found here.  I have a problem, if I can find an easier way to finish something.  I usually do it.  Maybe it is lazy or I will call it innovative. That sounds better much better.








I used some batik scraps for the inside.  My niece is quite colorful, so it will fit her personality to a tee.


I love the bright yellow-orange.  Great for a little girl on the go.
Off to finish another project and so I will leave you with some of my garden lovelies.





The lovely places I link to....
June Finishes
I'm topsy turvy tuesdays






Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. Oh what a cute bag - such a great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this fabric!!! And is that a tiger lily?? Great color!!! TFS! Have an awesome day!
    xo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet little bag! Handmade gifts are the best - bet your niece will love this special bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very special gift! Love the owl fabric and the batiks inside! Beautiful Tiger Lilies too! Thanks for sharing.
    Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very cute bag. I love the fabric! I’d love for you to share this project on Tuesday’s Tidbits @ Naptime Delights: http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tuesdays-tidbits-3.html

    Thanks so much!
    Sarah
    {http://naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Chris,
    Thank you for your lovely comments. I will definetly check out your blog!
    Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love those little owls! And the snazzy lining. Hand made gifts are the most thoughtful & I hope your niece loved it. Great finish! Thank you for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete