Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fool's Chicken Pot Pie

At out house April Fool's has always been a special day for the munchkins.  As they get older, it is a lot harder to trick them.  I looked up April Fool's food on the Internet.  In years past, I have tricked them with mashed potato and fake spaghetti  cupcakes . This year the Family Fun website caught my eye with their Chicken Not-Pie.  So, I thought I would try it out.  For the not-pie you need,

  • 1 aluminum pie tin
  • 1 pie crust
  • 1 (3.4-ounce) box instant vanilla or white-chocolate pudding
  • 3 yellow and  orange Starburst candies
  • 1 green Chewy Jolly Rancher candy or green Tootsie Roll candy
  • 1 to 2 dried apple rings or just dried apple pieces 


The Family Fun Recipe is a little different than what I ended up doing.  I first tried the refrigerated pie dough.  It was a complete flop and the dog ended up eating it.  I took a homemade pie crust that my sis had, (Thank goodness) and a 9" aluminum pie pan.  I then flipped the pie tin over so I was looking at the bottom.  I tore a piece of aluminum foil and covered the bottom of the pie tin, then I laid the rolled pie dough on the foil.  I finished the pie crust with the fork around the bottom edge and poked a couple holes in the crust. Then I put it in the oven for 8 minutes.  While the crust was cooking, I cut the orange and yellow Starburst into squares. (carrots and corn) Then on to the peas, just cut the green candy into about 5 pieces and then roll them.  I had dried apple pieces and I ripped them to give them a chicken pieces look.   After the crust was finished, I just removed the pie crust from the pie pan by lifting up the foil.  I then allowed the pan to cool and then I made the pudding and added the Not-Veggies and put it in the cooled pie pan.  After the pudding had spent it time in the refrigerator, I added the pie crust lid.  I fooled a couple of the munchkins, but some of them are catching on to my ways.

Did you play a fun harmless April Fool's joke?
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment