Saturday, April 13, 2013

Honeycomb Pillow Finish

Honeycomb Stitch-Along


I posted a few weeks back my progress on my Honeycomb Stitch-Along pillow.  Jenelle at Echinops and Aster designed a gorgeous pillow that I fell in love with the moment I laid eyes on it.  She has great photos with each and every step.  It was the first time that I had done Hexies or needle turn applique.  After following her tutorials, I didn't feel so intimidated.  So after a few more hours sewing the past few days,  I finished it all up.  And can I say, I think it is one of my absolute favorite finishes. 


I used Comma from Moda.  I love the prints and color in this fabric line. I hand stitched around all the hexies in a gray and orange.


Here's the whole pillow.  I made the 24" square one. (Did I mention I LOVE it!)


Here is a peek at the back.  I chose not to put the flower on the back and leave it plain.   Jenelle, had us put interfacing on the wrong side of the back of the pillow.  I totally recommend doing this.  It made it so much easier to work with and left the inside looking nice and neat! 




I was so happy to get it finished up.  I did so many new techniques on here, that I will definitely be trying it again.   And the colors on my new pillow just happen to match the Urban Garden quilt  I finished up a few months ago.  They are both on our bed.

I also joined a little an EQ hop.  I have had the program for a few months now and really enjoy playing with it.

chick block2

Here is the Schedule for the EQ Appliqued Animals Blog Hop
With these fun sub-categories
Summer Animals
Critters and Bugs
Summer “Stuff”
 
 
Monday April 22nd
Seamstobesew (Summer Animal)
Freemotionbytheriver (Critters and Bugs)
Sewincrediblycrazy (Critters and Bugs)
Beaquilter (Summer Stuff)
 
 
Tuesday April 23rd
Kissedquilts (Summer Animals)
Seamstobesew (Critters and Bugs)
Funthreads (Summer Stuff)
 
 
Wednesday April 24th
Funthreads (Summer Animals)
Patchworkbreeze (Critters and Bugs)
Beaquilter (Critters and Bugs)
Sewincrediblycrazy (Summer Stuff)
 
 
Thursday April 25th
Beaquilter (Summer Animals)
Janesquilting (Critters and Bugs)
Seamstobesew (Summer Stuff)
 
 
Friday April 26th
SewCalGal (Critters and Bugs)

There are going to be great giveaways, too!!  Hope to see you there.  If you are looking for the Button giveaway, it is here!
 
 
The great places I link to .........
 

Pin It Now!

43 comments:

  1. I love it! It looks fantastic with your fabric choice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder you love that pillow... it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pillow. I'm way behind on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely pillow! I really like those bees :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that pillow. Your fabric choices are great and it is so nice to end up with such a beautiful item and learn new techniques along the way. I am very jealous of the bees, they are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a nice pillow! I started these hexagons, but didn't finish the pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Can't wait to start one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that is beautiful, I love the bumble bee's :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from the Sew Darn Crafty Linky Party. I love this pillow, it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pillow is beautiful! Hexies scare me, but I'm sure I'll be giving them a try one of these days. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this pillow and the fabrics you chose... LOVE that decorative stitching and embroidery you did! Totally rocks :) Thanks for sharing so I could find you on Sew Many ways :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the Bee's knees! I really love those bees.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute is that pillow??? Now you have me thinking I need to try hexies too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeously cute pillow!!!! I love the bee! You used some really cool fabrics too. I really like the green fabric and the black and white fabric with the writing and numbers. Cool pillow! I'm pinning it!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://www.usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/04/submarine-sunday-27_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! We joined your blog. Please come follow us back! quackadoodlequilt.blogspot.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pillow is adorable! I was just at a quilt retreat over the weekend and one of the retreatants was also working on a something that I'm sure was from the same stitch-along.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! So beautiful!!! Love Comma and Jenelle's patterns are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful pillow, love those bees!! I'm tickled to see you're doing the EQ Appliqued blog hop too! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the pillow, especially the green from the comma collection! Lovely finish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great project, I love the bees and the hexies together!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love hexagons!! so lovely!! visiting from HoHD!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love hexagons!! so lovely!! visiting from HoHD!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this pillow! It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! I will have to try this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. super super cute! I love the bee!

    ReplyDelete
  26. fabulous pillow - I am loving those bees :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love love love Comma! Your bees are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful finishes...Visiting from A Stitch in Time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. beeeautiful!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amy, that's an adorable pillow! Definitely worth a whoop whoop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous, Amy! I love this! It inspires me to make different decor for each season in my house. Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is just lovely! What a wonderful project and you did such a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is fantastic Amy! Your fabric choices really worked beautifully with the design. Thanks for stitching along with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's a beautiful use of Comma and your stitching is amazing! I love your pillow :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful Pillow Amy! Love your fabric and your Bees are sweet.... Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your pillow :) Mine is one of my favourite ever finishes too and had lots of new techniques to me!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Amy, your pillow is so great! I love the colors and those bees are amazing! Hexies are awesome! Congrats on a fabulous finish and thank you for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete