Monday, May 27, 2013

Aurifil Blocks of the Month and a Flop!!

I am always trying to broaden my quilting skills.  I have been following along watching all these great blocks pop up on the Aurifil's Flickr page.  Each month a different designer makes a block for Aurifil's Block of the Month.  I haven't pieced a huge variety of blocks, so I thought it would be a great time to try a little something new and pick up a new skill or two.  So this weekend, I have almost caught up with the Block of the Month.



January's Block


April's Block


March's Block


I used a variety of different fabrics from several different designers.  I love each and every one of the blocks and tried a little something new on each.  BUT,.........
 


 
February's Block
 
 
 
Look at this one!!! It was a FLOP!  I generally don't show my mistakes, but we all make them right?  And it is a great learning experience.  I have no clue what I did wrong with this one.   None of the seams lined up, I cut out the wrong colors and it is a little short on the bottom. (My seam ripper was working overtime and it still wasn't right)  I will have to do it all over again.  (Not looking forward to that at all)  I guess you don't learn everything by smooth sailing.

So for now, I have three out of five completed.






P.S. If your haven't entered the Jelly Roll Giveaway, it ends on Friday!!


The lovely places I link to
Let's Get Acquainted
Freemotion By the River
Quilt Story
Bom's Away @ What a Hoot
Pin It Now!

23 comments:

  1. I love the color choices! I am at a quilting flop moment as well. Thanks for showing your mistakes! Its nice to know that someone else is making them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    I love your wonderful blocks und fabrics...

    Greetings from Germany
    Klaudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look beautiful together and yea for keeping it real. Perhaps you could deconstruct Feb's block and use the pieces on the back - a reminder we're all human and make mistakes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep Quilting/sewing quilt blocks are fun to make your block look great. Jelly rolls are fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks look awesome! Sometimes, it is good to show mistakes - you make the rest of us feel normal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had a block end up with a bit "short", too! Mystifying, and annoying. I own several seam rippers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading about other people's failures :). I posted about one of my own today if it makes you feel better. Love the colors your using! This is one of the few BOMs I'm not participating in, but looking at your blocks makes me want to join!

    ReplyDelete
  8. amy this uits me to a T...great pic of collection of a variety of designers, could be a YOU collection

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suits me is what i was writing lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your project and thanks for sharing your flop-- I make lots of my own and thought I was the only one:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blocks and I love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow the colors you picked are really eye catching! Especially love that heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blocks Amy, shame about February's it will just make you appreciate the rest of them all the more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Annabella's suggestion to deconstruct the block and use it on the back. I'm a new quilter. I have 20 blocks done from a BOM and had to redo one of the blocks for sure, and once I measure the rest of them, I may have more to re-do. So now I have the good idea of using them as part of the back because honestly, I've been having a hard time deciding what to put on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are gorgeous fabrics you are using! Thanks for sharing your flop (we all have them!!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your quilt blocks! Thanks for sharing that we can all make mistakes... but it is about the trying that matters :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully vibrant blocks...thanks for being humble and sharing the boo boo! LOL. We all have them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The blocks look great, lovely colours too, don't worry about the one that didn't turn out ok, it's all a learning curve and I think sharing the mistakes is as important as the successes, it shows we're all human and our quilts are indeed handmade! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun, fun fabrics, Amy :) I hope the February block behaved for you the second time! Drives me nuts when I can't get something to work out properly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Three beauties and one that needs "surgery" LOL! Love the fabrics you have chosen!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are our own worst critic. Use the block on the back of the quilt as a reminder of a lesson learned. You will laugh every time you look at it.

    Really neat colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great blocks Amy and I'm never afraid to show my "oops" blocks either. Love the fabrics you are using! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete